Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Monday, July 13, 2009

Restless Heart

I was cleaning out one of my many cluttered bags today and found a pretty painful poem I had written. It was tucked inside one of my church bulletins. There was a quote inside the bulletin that I thought was profoundly simple and an obvious answer to my hearts cry. God is so lovingly subtle and yet so obvious sometimes. All I was doing was cleaning out a bag.

Restless Heart

Oh heart, I hate you.

How you betray me.

Why do you abandon me?

How do you escape me?

I can not control you.

You can not be contained.

Even when I fight

To hold on to innocence,

You corrupt my attempts.

The sin that is buried underneath

Is a shadow that clouds my soul.

When will I be free,

Of this intense hypocrisy?

Oh heart you are restless…

When will I find rest

If there is not rest in me?

“Our hearts are restless, until we find rest in Thee”... Augustine


No comments:

Post a Comment